The English army crosses the River Till in 1513
5th February, 2015
On the way to the Battle of Flodden, the English army camped at Wooler Haugh (nowadays the site of the Riverside Leisure Park).
Not far from Chatton, location of Apple Pie Cottage, lies Weetwood Bridge which was first constructed as a crossing place over the River Till during the early 16th Century.
This bridge has been altered since it was built but it does lie on the direct route from Wooler Haugh where it would have offered the army the best crossing point over the Till for its heavy ordnance and other equipment. The army marched on to join the Devil’s Causeway – a Roman Road – north of the river and then to Barmoor Castle on the 8th September – the day before the Battle of Flodden. The Scots were comprehensively beaten at Flodden and Queen Katherine of Aragon expressed a desire to send the head of King James IV in a basket to her husband Henry VIII who was in France at the time.
Photo: The River Till from Weetwood Bridge.